Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Escape from Cabin Fever

Last night, Chad I and curled up on the couch to decompress before bedtime and watched an episode of The Planet Green/National Parks.  The broadcast featured the Hawaiian volcanoes, Utah’s Arches National Park, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, and Zion National Park, to name a few.  As we watched, I felt an exquisite, almost indescribable feeling of pleasure that occurs only when I see  the breathtaking views of clean water, trees, mountains, lava flows, canyons, animals, birds, flowers, and nature unblemished by man. Seeing the newest forms of land created by Pacific Rim volcanoes juxtaposed against canyons carved over millions of years and geysers atop a tentative landscape is almost too much to comprehend.  I have visited a few of those parks, and as I shared with Chad, “I have been there and I have seen that”, he inquired, “did it look like that?”  I responded, “yes”, as his little mind  has yet to comprehend that it has taken hundreds of thousands perhaps even millions of years to create the architectural design of those landscapes and will take many, many more to evolve into something unfamiliar (albeit volcanic eruptions which can change things overnight, and fallen rock arches and God forbid, a catastrophe caused by humans.)   I became immediately pre-occupied and impatient with thoughts of the outdoors—a place I want to be, watching and feeling nature unfold and these images served as the best sedative I’ve ever taken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment