Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Life is unpredictable; Eat dessert first.

In anticipation of the holiday weekend I am overwhelmed by "sweet" memories of my grandmother.   She was a loving, wonderful woman and a fantastic cook.  I have discovered that while she left behind many a "secret recipe" that the true secret in her culinary skills came not from measurable ingredients or her technique, but from many years of practice--most of which I'm sure went unappreciated.  In anticipation of the arrival of six grandsons --who visited with bottemless bellies and a reckless disregard for the amount of sugar in their diets-- she would prepare, accordingly.  The cache of sweet snacks would include chocolate chip cookies, sugar cookies, butterscotch cookies, pinwheels, no bake cookies, cobblers, pies and my favorite, "Greek Cake".  My cousins didn't know how highly they rated; she never made Greek Cake for my me, despite my love of chocolate!

So, in honor of the impending Labor Day Holiday, my cousins, the Herrings and the Knowlings,  and in memory of my grandmother,  ENJOY this homemade recipe which is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and your chocolate craving.  And remember: life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.  

Grandma Robey's "Greek Cake" 
  • In a saucepan, heat to boiling:  2 sticks of margarine or butter, 1 cup of water, and 3 TBS of Cocoa
  • In a bowel, sift together:  2 Cups flour, 2 Cups sugar,  1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda
  • Mix all ingredients together until smooth then add:  2 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla
  • and Mix again then pour into a greased & floured sheet cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes
Icing:  (Ice the cake when it is warm)
1 stick of margarine or butter
3 TBSP of cocoa
1 Box of confectioner's sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
6 TBSP of milk (2% or 4% only)
Mix until smooth and spread on the cake while it is WARM

    

No comments:

Post a Comment